Abilene Plumbers – In this article we will go over general plumbing tips for homeowners that are looking to be able to do a few things around their house without the need to get in touch with professional Abilene plumbers to handle simple requests that most homeowners should be able to accomplish themselves or for homeowners who are looking to be proactive and help keep their plumbing in good shape in order to cut back on the need for professional assistance from Abilene plumbers.
When you think of a dripping faucet if you are like most you do not put much thought behind it if the leak isn’t that bad. However, a drop of water per second can equal as much as 8,000 gallons of wasted potable water per year. So as you can see, those tiny little drops do add up over time. Below you will find some helpful tips with ways to conserve the water in your home.
- Make sure taps are fully closed. If they continue to leak they should be repaired.
- If you suspect you have a leak but are unable to locate it use your water meter to verify it. Choose a time when family members won’t be home. Open the water meter cover and write down the gauge reading inside. Eight to ten hours later when no water has been used read the meter and record that number. If the gauge has moved you most likely have a leak. Call Midway Plumbing’s professional Abilene plumbers to locate your hidden water leak.
- Do you ever hear your toilet running when it hasn’t been flushed? Drop some food coloring into the tank, if you find color in the bowl then it is leaking.
- Installing a low flow shower head will reduce your water use. Not everyone will like it but it will decrease the amount of water you use per month.
If you would like to learn how Midway Plumbing can help you conserve water give us a call, our professional Abilene plumbers will be glad to help you.
Scraping food into a drain without a garbage disposal is asking for trouble. Never deposit grease into your kitchen drain. Use newspaper to absorb liquid grease, place into a leak proof bag and dispose of in the trash. Solidified grease can simply be raked into the trash.
- Once a month pour one cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by one cup of vinegar to help keep the kitchen drain open. Flush with hot water for 15 seconds when done.
- Never put bones, cherry pits, celery, or other ‘stringy’ material into your garbage disposal. These items can damage blades and clog your drain.
- Throw away dental floss and use strainers for bathroom sinks and shower.
If your toilet won’t flush after a heavy rain you may have a cracked or clogged sewer line. Furthermore, septic tanks need to be professionally cleaned every 2-3 years. In addition, once per month you need to flush a product intended to promote beneficial bacteria into the septic tank.
- Know the location of your main water shut off valve. It is usually inside your water meter. Turn it off and on once per year to keep it freed up. Keep inside your meter clean so you can access your shut off valve.
- Winterize outside faucets. Repair leaky faucets before insulating. Faucets may be wrapped with insulation, and covered with a bucket, secured plastic garbage bag or faucet insulators. Foam insulating sleeves are available for exposed pipe. Heat tapes are an option for the main water supply line entering your home.
- Dark spots in linoleum and discolorations on wood floors indicate a leak.
Plumbing problems tend to get worse over time. A watchful eye and regular maintenance will prevent problems from becoming a major issue. Give Midway Plumbing a call to learn how our professional and courteous Abilene plumbers can help you with all of your plumbing related needs for repairs, installation or even maintenance. When you hire Midway Plumbing you can rest assured knowing you are in experienced hands that will get the job done professionally, promptly and most of all with your satisfaction guaranteed.